The Danger of Living in South Africa
Crime is a common South African culture – it happens to us, our loved ones and all around us. You can never be certain that you won’t ever be a victim of some crime and if you are a daily commuter, you are at higher risk of being hijacked. Being aware and vigilant could save you from becoming a victim.
There are certain steps you can take to ensure your safety as you go about your daily routine because when it comes to this type of crime, it can happen at any hour.
To avoid becoming a victim of hijacking, you should do these following things:
- Always keep your car doors locked.
- Change your routine. You should also change the route you travel regularly, as you never know who may be trying to target you.
- Observe your surroundings. Look far ahead and observe what is happening at intersections and keep a good distance from the car in front of you. You should be able to see its back wheels, which will give you a safe distance to get away should the need arise.
- If you have to open a gate manually, leave the keys in the ignition and have the engine running while doing so, but if there are children in the car, you should turn off the ignition and keep the keys with you instead.
- Have your key ready as you approach your car, but not visible.
- When you are on your way somewhere, always know where you are heading and know the directions to get there. Should you get lost, stay alert!
- If you find yourself in this kind of situation, remember that the hijackers’ main focus is on doing a job. Do not resist, argue or fight as this could result in serious harm or even death. Show them that you are not a threat.
- Do not switch off your car. NetStar advises that if you are hijacked while your children are in the car, you should climb out of the vehicle slowly and calmly tell the hijackers that you need to take your children with you.
- Do not reach for your valuables and always try to remain calm in these situations. Do as the hijackers say, your main priority should be to get yourself and your loved ones out of the situation unharmed.
Affinity Rescue provides emergency medical evacuation, stabilisation and trauma care available for life-threatening cases caused by criminal activity.